By Al Jazeera
Three blasts have hit the northeastern Nigerian town of Maiduguri in the worst attack on the city since suspected Boko Haram fighters failed in their bid to seize it at the end of January.
Initial reports said at least 10 people had been killed in the explosions triggered by suspected suicide bombers.
Witnesses said two explosions targeted a market on Saturday.
Witness Baban Musa told The Associated Press that the second explosion occurred at the busy shopping area called Post Office, close to the fish market where the suicide bomber struck earlier Saturday morning.
Moments later a third blast was heard close to the market.
“I have counted five ambulances that have evacuated victims from the scene. Soldiers are shooting in the air and warding off people at the market,” Salisu Yaya, a member of a civilian task force, told Reuters news agency.
Maiduguri is the state capital of Borno, the heartland of the armed group Boko Haram which has long coveted the city as the capital of an Islamic state they want to carve out of religiously mixed Nigeria.
Source:: Al Jazeera