Home FeaturedPolitics

Guinea-Bissau’s President Embalo says several people were injured or killed in failed coup bid

GUINEA-BISSAU’S President Umaro Sissoco Embalo said late Tuesday that people had been seriously injured or had died in a failed coup in the West African nation.

‘The attackers could have spoken to me before these bloody events that have seriously injured many and claimed lives,’ he said, without clearly indicating who was behind the unrest.

But Embalo said the failed putsch was linked to decisions taken by him ‘notably to fight drug trafficking and corruption.’

Earlier in the day, heavily-armed men surrounded the Palace of Government, where President Umaro Sissoco Embalo and Prime Minister Nuno Gomes Nabiam were believed to have gone to attend a cabinet meeting.

The building is located on the edge of the capital Bissau, close to the airport.

People were seen fleeing the area, the local markets were closed and banks shut their doors, while military vehicles laden with troops drove through the streets.

The former Portuguese colony is an impoverished coastal state of around two million people lying south of Senegal.

It has seen four military putsches since gaining independence in 1974, most recently in 2012.

In 2014, the country vowed to return to constitutional government, but it has enjoyed little stability since then and the armed forces wield substantial clout.

A 36-year-old Frenchwoman living in Bissau, Kadeejah Diop, said she had rushed to pick up her two children from school and witnessed armed troops entering the Palace of Government.

‘They made all the female workers leave. There was huge panic,’ she told AFP by phone from her home. ‘Right now, we are holed up indoors. We have no news.’

Reacting to events, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) issued a statement saying it ‘condemns this attempted coup.’

The bloc warned that it ‘holds the military responsible for the wellbeing of President Umaro Sissoco Embalo and members of his government.’

Election turmoil 

Embalo, a 49-year-old reserve brigadier general and former prime minister, took office in February 2020 after winning a second-round runoff election that followed four years of political infighting under the country’s semi-presidential system.

He was a candidate for a party called Madem, comprised of rebels from the African Party for the Independence of Guinea and Cape Verde (PAIGC) which had led Guinea-Bissau to independence.

His chief opponent, PAIGC candidate Domingos Simoes Pereira, bitterly contested the result but Embalo declared himself president without waiting for the outcome of his petition to the Supreme Court.

Late last year, the armed forces chief said members of the military had been preparing to launch a coup while the president was on a working trip to Brazil.

 

 

Source
RFI

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button