ZAMBIA’S largest emerald miner on Tuesday announced the discovery of a rare gigantic emerald weighing 1.505 kilograms.
Kagem Mining Limited said the 7,525 carats gem was discovered on July 13, 2021 at its mine in Lufwanyama district on the Copperbelt province and has been dubbed ‘Chipembele’ (meaning Rhino), according to a release.
It adds that a share of proceeds from the sale of the gem would be donated to support rhino conservation efforts in Zambia.
‘A key Gemfields tenet is that Africa’s gemstone wealth must contribute meaningfully not only to host-country economies, but also to conservation efforts, host communities and the next generation by ways of education, healthcare and livelihood projects,’ Jackson Mtonga, the miner’s Sort House Assistant Manager said.
The gem was due to be sold at the next emerald auction to be conducted by the firm, with viewing expected to take place from November, the release added.
The discovery of the giant gem at the mine follows similar discoveries such as the 6,225 carats Insofu (Elephant) gem in 2010 and the 5,655 Inkalamu (Lion) in 2018, according to the release.
The emerald miner is owned 75 percent by London-based Gemfields Plc with the Zambian government retaining the other 25 percent.